Lots of people use fresh corn in meals as a side dish or in salads. Summer ends very fast, though, but it doesn’t mean you can’t have your favorite addition to the BBQ meal. You can use frozen corn cobs. The result will surprise you, as it is going to be as great as when you use fresh corn.
In this article, we will tell you about different tricks, how to grill frozen corn on the cob. You will have yummy corn all year round.
- 1 What is a frozen corn on the cob?
- 2 Is it possible to grill frozen corn?
- 3 How to grill frozen corn cobs?
- 4 Ingredients
- 5 Step-by-step instructions for cooking the best grilled frozen corn
- 6 Serving ideas
- 7 Preparation of the corn on the cob and storage tips
- 8 Tips for grilling frozen corn
- 9 Is it better to grill corn with foil or without?
- 10 FAQ
- 11 At the end
What is a frozen corn on the cob?
When sweet corn on the cob is ready to be collected on the field, it goes through a lot of fast processes until it gets frozen. Because everything happens quick, it ensures the high quality of corn.
Freshly picked up corn gets boiled for a couple of minutes. That way, all the vitamins stay in a boiled corn.
After a boiling process, corn on the cob gets put in the freezer. Freezing the corn allows you to purchase it at any time of the year for preparing your preferred meals.
Is it possible to grill frozen corn?
Frozen corn can be cooked on a grill just like any frozen piece of meat or other frozen vegetables. It will turn out just as yummy and rich in taste as fresh grilled corn on the cob.
The flavor of a frozen corn that has been grilled, will slightly differ from the fresh grilled corn or canned corn, but it will still be a sweet and delicious corn.
Every year in Washington, DC, they hold a full-fledged championship with the participation of many people, the essence of which is to find the most delicious barbecue recipe. This is a real culinary battle, where everyone can show their brilliant abilities.
How to grill frozen corn cobs?
There are lots of recipes and ways of cooking frozen corn on the cob. The easiest and fastest way is just to boil the corn in water for some time, take corn kernels off the cob and add melted butter. Stir everything and serve as side dish.
Another tasty way of making a side dish is grilling corn on the cob. Despite the season, get the frozen corn from the store. It will be just as yummy as freshly picked up corn.
The flavor of grilled corn will have natural sweetness with some smoky flavor to it. Perfect addition to any meat meal.
Another way of preparing grilled corn on the cob is to wrap it into aluminum foil.
Most people prefer the direct grilling for getting that extra flavor and smell of the grilled vegetables.
So even if it is not the season for fresh corn on the cob, don’t get upset. Head to your local store, get a frozen corn and enjoy the meals.
- Frozen corn on the cob
- Olive oil
- Fresh herbs
You can either purchase frozen corn on the cob from your local grocery store. Another way is to prepare fresh corn during the season and freeze it yourself.
Olive oil will help keeping the grilled corn from residing on the grill surface. If you don’t have any olive oil, it is possible to add other types of oil that you might have: sunflower, peanut, or coconut oil.
Adding butter on top of the partially cooked corn will add extra flavor.
Step-by-step instructions for cooking the best grilled frozen corn
Warm your grill up to the medium high heat.
Add some oil all over the corn on the cob to avoid it from staying to the grill pan.
Place corn on the cob into the grill and close the lid.
Don’t forget to flip the corn every now and again to ensure it cooks thoroughly from all sides.
Wait for about 15 minutes and then proceed with taking the corn on the cob out of the grill, check if it’s cooked, using the fork or a knife.
If the corn is ready, add some salt, pepper and your favorite herbs and serve it as a side dish.
Usually, the most commonly used way to serve a grilled corn on the cob is by adding your favorite seasoning along with garlic salt and pepper.
Apart from seasoning you could use a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, a tablespoon of lime juice, some melted butter, a bit of olive oil.
If you don’t feel like eating the corn on the cob, there is another option of cutting the corn kernels off the cob and serve just like that. Sweet corn kernels separated from the cob is also a perfect addition to any salad.
Preparation of the corn on the cob and storage tips
It all depends on the way you have chosen to cook your corn, either it is going to be grilling or microwaving corn. Make sure you have tin foil, if you are going to be grilling corn, wrapped in it.
- Once your corn is fully cooked, it can stay in a container closed with a lid for up to 4 days in the fridge.
- Freshly frozen corn can stay in your freezer for many months, unlike cooked corn. Do not freeze cooked corn because it will become mushy and not tasty.
- Cooked corn on the comb can be heated again. The easiest way is to use a wet paper towel around the corn and to warm it in a microwave.
Tips for grilling frozen corn
- Always make sure when you cook corn to turn the cobs around to ensure it gets cooked evenly.
- When you are about to place frozen corn on the cob into the grill, always brush it with any type of oil first, to prevent it from being stuck to the grate.
- While grilling corn, make sure the lid of the grill stays closed.
- Never boil a frozen corn on the cob before grilling it, otherwise the result will not be what you expect. Fresh con on the cob always gets boiled on medium heat for a couple of minutes and then goes into the freezer. Boiling it twice will ruin the structure of the corn and will result in a loss of taste.
- When you take your corn on the cob out of the freezer, investigate whether it has any freezer burn anywhere. Freezer burn happens from direct contact of the frozen corn with any type of moisture or air. A frozen corn with freezer burn will taste awful, as it will be dry and unsweetened.
- Don’t be scared to try adding different seasoning while cooking corn. Sprinkling some Parmesan cheese on top of grilled frozen corn will not ruin it, but will give an interesting taste to it.
- Do not defrost corn before grilling. It can be cooked just like that – straight out of the freezer.
- Try new things and recipes. You will definitely find the one you love the most and will perfect it in no time.
- If there is any corn leftover, never freeze it again. It will turn into a mushy substance and will not be tasty.
- When grilling the corn at high temperature, you have to be very careful when taking it out. Use a pair of tongs and let the corn cool down before trying it.
Is it better to grill corn with foil or without?
When you cook frozen corn, wrapping it in tin foil can actually help.
- Foil can handle high heat temperature for a long time. It means your corn is not going to burn. It is also difficult to overcook it.
- When you cook frozen corn in foil, it works kind of like a steamer, which allows your corn to be cooked thoroughly, leaving all juice, taste, and aroma inside.
- If you want to grill corn, using a tin foil will not allow it to get stuck on to the surface of grill grates. So there won’t be any mess to clean.
Note, if you want to grill fresh corn wrapped in a tin foil, it will take a bit longer than grilling straight on top of grill grates.
If you have run out of tin foil, that is not a problem. Just chuck corn straight inside the grill. Do not forget to use oil to prevent it from sticking to the surface of the grill. Once the corn is cooked, add your favorite seasoning, kosher salt, black pepper and little butter to enhance the taste of the meal.
Serve with a piece of steak or fish. You can also add hot corn to the variety of salads.
Should you thaw frozen corn on the cob before grilling?
There is no need in preparing frozen corn and defrosting it. You can chuck it into a grill straight out of the freezer. This is actually quite convenient, when you are in a rush and have limited time for cooking meals.
How long to cook frozen corn on the cob?
The time to cook frozen corn will depend on the way you want to cook it. To grill frozen corn will take you 20 minutes in average. That is the longest but the tastiest way of cooking frozen corn.
Cooking it in a microwave will be faster, but the result will not be as great as when grilling corn.
Can you grill frozen corn off the cob?
You certainly can grill frozen corn off the cob, but you will have to use aluminum foil for that. Take the kernels off the cob first and place corn into aluminum foil. Then proceed with grilling frozen corn for about 10 to 15 minutes.
You can always check whether corn is ready or not, just don’t forget to keep the lid closed after that.
At the end
Now you have an answer to the question – how to grill frozen corn on the cob. There are a lot of easy recipes and ways to grill corn. The corn is a perfect addition to any meat meal. It is great as a side dish and perfect for salads.
If you still have any questions left, please write them in the comment section below. Share this article with your friends, and you will definitely get the invitation for BBQ.
Check also which is the Best portable pellet smoker.
Hello! In my free time, I like to pamper my family with delicious grilled dinners. In addition, friends often gather with us and a grilled steak is what you need for pleasant company!
I have been working as a salesman in a grill and accessories store for several years. I know all about grills and smokers. My friends and acquaintances always consult with me before buying a new grill. I am a master at this with vast experience!
Recently I was advised to start my own blog and I decided to do it. I hope to be useful to you!
Have a nice day and a delicious dinner outdoors!