Steak is a weighty and toasted piece of meat that no man will refuse. Although, many women also will not mind trying it. Steaks are prepared in different ways, but most often from grilled pork.
In turn, pork steak is considered a symbol of American barbecue, since it is on the grill that meat cuts acquire appetizing and crispy crusts, and inside it is fried evenly and remains juicy.
The classic recipe for how to properly fry a pork steak can be shown by every self-respecting culinary master or chef of a restaurant. This dish can be repeated at home without special skills in cooking, observing certain rules of choice and methods of cooking a fragrant gourmet dish.
There are many other ways to cook pork steaks. One of the most common is cooking in the oven in a special baking dish or a frying pan.
Anyone who has tasted the taste of grilled pork steak will not want to try other cooking methods.
In our “How to grill pork steaks” article, we will describe the most common and absolutely delicious ways you can follow to cook meals using a propane grill, a charcoal grill, or a gas grill.
- 1 What is necessary for cooking grilled pork steaks?
- 2 How to make pork steaks on a gas grill?
- 3 Pork steak recipe for crispy pork shoulder steaks
- 4 Pork steak recipe for St. Louis Pork Steaks
- 5 FAQ
What is necessary for cooking grilled pork steaks?
There are many methods of grilling pork steaks.
However, the main ingredients are always the same:
- Pork chops – the most commonly used parts of pork are pork shoulders and pork butt.
- Spices – the universal seasonings for steak. There are spices that are in the kitchen of any housewife: salt, ground pepper, garlic, and onion. They are so familiar that we often do not notice how seasonings change the taste of meat if used in moderation. In addition to universal spices (salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic), these are ideal for pork:
- Juniper berries have a slightly tart taste and a pronounced coniferous aroma. Basically, berries are added to the steak sauce already when serving.
- Fennel, or rather its seeds. They have a slightly sweet taste and improve digestion. Therefore, if the pork is fat, then fennel seeds will definitely not hurt.
- Cumin also has a sweet taste, but with a specific shade, so not everyone likes it.
- Coriander has a rather weak smell in dry form but is very strong during heat treatment. So that the aroma of the spice does not drown out the aroma of the meat itself, it should be added in a minimum amount.
- Marinade – it is prepared based on spices with addition of soy sauces, honey, citrus, and other juices, mixed in a small bowl. It can also be a barbecue sauce.
- A grill – you can choose a traditional way of cooking on a grill using charcoal or use an electrical device as an alternative. There are also grill pans.
So, let’s take a step-by-step preparation of the most delicious grilled pork steaks with saturated fat for your table following the most simple recipes.
Rule number one is to prepare the marinade in advance.
How to marinate delicious grilled pork steaks?
Pork is meat that is best pre–marinated.
For grill pork steaks to turn out to be deliciously tasty and juicy, it is necessary to marinate them in advance.
- One of the best marinades for pork meat is beer, sometimes mixed with apple juice. Yes, it may sound strange and confusing, but beer and apple juice make the meat tender and amazingly delicious.
- Another popular and widely used method of marinade is mixing ingredients such as water, honey, apple juice (it can also be lemon or lime juices), garlic or garlic powder, and four teaspoons of salt and pepper, sometimes brown sugar.
It is necessary to stir all the ingredients until they acquire a homogeneous consistency.
You can cook such meat on any grill. Pork turns out to be unusually fragrant. The marinade is also suitable for beef steak.
Preparing pork steaks
- Rinse a piece of pork and be sure to dry it with napkins.
- You can leave it for a while so that the meat dries up.
- Take a large and sharp knife, and cut the pork across the fibers to make thick pieces of about 2 cm. Thin steaks are not recommended.
Spices for juicy meat
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp chopped rosemary
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp onion powder
- Barbecue sauce
The next step is to preheat the grill.
How hot should the grill be for pork steaks?
The most optimal high heat temperature for pork steaks is 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
Pickled steaks should be greased with oil, for example, olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, smoked paprika, brown sugar, and other spices we mentioned before in a small bowl, and place pork steaks on the high heat grill.
Sometimes you can also use special BBQ sauce (barbecue sauce).
How long does it take to cook pork steaks on the grill?
Usually, the pork steak is cooked at high heat temperature for about 5 minutes. The internal temperature of the pork steak should reach 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
Then the temperature is lowered to medium heat, which is about 300-350 degrees, and kept for another 5-7 minutes in direct heat so that it keeps the internal temperature.
If desired, the grilled pork steak can be cooked further at a low heat to stay hot at its internal temperature.
How to make pork steaks on a gas grill?
This is one is the simplest pork steak recipe with minimum ingredients. To prepare such a pork steak, a gas grill is usually used. Thanks to this, the pork steaks are fried evenly, and a golden crust appears on them.
- 1 kg pork steaks from 2 cm thick the back of the carcass without bones, preferably without streaks and fat
- 1 pc. medium lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 sprigs thyme
- Kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, and other seasonings to taste, sometimes also a barbecue sauce.
How to cook? Step-by-step instructions
- Pieces of pork shoulder steaks with a bone should be washed, then dried with napkins. Special attention should be paid to possible remnants of small fragments of bone – they often stick to the pork steaks and get into the finished dish.
- Juice is squeezed out of the lemon and 1 tsp of all seasonings, olive oil, and salt is added to it, after which everything is thoroughly mixed.
- Pork steaks are rubbed with the prepared mixture from all sides. After that, they take thyme and knead it in their hands so that it reveals its aroma. Each pork steak is shifted with twigs.
- Top the pork steaks with lemon marinade. In this form, pork steaks are left to marinate for several hours. If more than two – pork steaks with marinade should be put in the refrigerator.
- After the specified time, the meat is taken out of the refrigerator, brought to room temperature, and grilled.
How long do you grill pork steaks on a gas grill?
Grilling should be done until a golden crust appears on both sides of pork steaks. The pork steaks are turned over only once – after 3-4 minutes, depending on the heat of the grill.
Grilled pork steaks should rest for just a minute, after which they are served. Be careful as it can be hot!
Pork steak recipe for crispy pork shoulder steaks
Grilled pork steak is also prepared from the pork shoulder blade with a bone. The pieces are delicious, well-fried, and large. This can also sometimes be labeled as a pork butt or Boston butt roast.
- Pork shoulder steaks with bone (400 gr) – 2 pieces
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp
- Black pepper, smoked paprika, kosher salt, coriander, aromatic herbs, and other spices to taste
- Fresh vegetables, tomato sauce, herbs, potato salad (or mashed potatoes).
Follow this recipe:
Pork blade steaks, as a rule, are cut across the fibers, and they are perfectly fried. if you are going to cook other pork steaks, it is worth considering their structure. Often pork shoulder steaks are cut along the fibers – they should be beaten off a little.
The presence of a bone gives the pork shoulder steaks a special charm, making it close to a pork entrecote or a natural cutlet, only very large.
Pieces of pork shoulder steaks with a bone should be washed, then dried with napkins. Special attention should be paid to possible remnants of small fragments of bones – they often stick to the pork steaks and get into the finished dish.
Season the pork steaks with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with a pinch of ground coriander and paprika. It is best to use store-bought paprika, not ground into dust, but dried red pepper of coarse grinding.
Roast pork steaks with a piece on the grill – before cooking, it is necessary to lubricate the pork steaks and grill grates with a small amount of vegetable oil.
These excellent grilled pork steaks should be served hot. A good option for a hearty dinner. By the way, during lunch, grilled pork steaks can be served with red wine and pickled sweet onions with herbs.
Forget about your nutrition calories and enjoy this delicious Boston butt roast!
You may also be interested in reading our articles: How to grill bacon and What temperature do you cook steak on a pellet grill.
Pork steak recipe for St. Louis Pork Steaks
Pork steaks in the style of St. Louis are used for cooking, which are perfectly smooth rectangular layers of ribs cut from the brisket area.
Unlike the fleshier ribs from the loin, these pork steaks contain more fat and connective layers, which give them a special juiciness and rich taste.
The ribs are rubbed with spices and, if desired, whiskey, which will soften the pork steaks better and fill them with additional flavor, and are grilled first in foil, and when they are ready, then on direct fire.
At the same time, they must be lubricated with cooked BBQ sauce, then the grilled pork steaks are covered with an amazing toasted crust.
Pork steaks are a real find for lovers of nature trips and picnics. This dish is best obtained on the grill, you can cook it at home, using an aero grill, a slow cooker, an oven, and even an ordinary frying pan.
Steaks came to us from America, where they are still considered one of the obligatory dishes on a festive table, or an outdoor dinner.
Pork steak is exactly the dish that you can feed even the hungriest guest. A variety of sauces and marinades for pork meat will allow you to add a new flavor to steaks every time, which is sure to please gourmets of all ages.
If after reading the recipes there are still questions about how to fry pork steak, the FAQ section will help to answer them.
Check also How to grill a bison steak
How long do pork steaks take?
In general, it does not take much time to make pork steaks on the grill. At the proper temperature, steaks are cooked for about 15-20 minutes.
How long do you need to marinate steaks?
The longer the pork is marinated, the softer the finished steaks will turn out, so it’s better to leave it in the marinade overnight.
How to cook barbecue sauce?
Heat vegetable oil in a medium-sized saucepan over moderate heat. Add the onion, garlic, and fresh ginger and fry, stirring frequently, until the vegetables begin to darken, 5-6 minutes. If using whiskey, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the alcohol, then return to the heat and cook until almost all the liquid has evaporated, 1-2 minutes.
Stir in 0.5 tbsp. water, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, mustard, hot garlic sauce, and 0.5 tsp. black pepper. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick and glossy, about 30 minutes; you should get about 1.5 tablespoons of sauce.
Pour it into a blender and whisk until smooth. You can prepare the sauce 1 day in advance and store it in the refrigerator until ready for use. Divide the sauce between 2 bowls: half for frying the ribs, the other half for serving.
Enjoy savory, appetizing, grilled pork steaks cooked according to the best recipes that even a beginner can handle! If you liked our article, please share it with your friends. Leave your comments and thoughts in the comment section below.
Check also which is the Best portable pellet smoker.
Hello! In my free time, I like to pamper my family with delicious grilled dinners. In addition, friends often gather with us and a grilled steak is what you need for pleasant company!
I have been working as a salesman in a grill and accessories store for several years. I know all about grills and smokers. My friends and acquaintances always consult with me before buying a new grill. I am a master at this with vast experience!
Recently I was advised to start my own blog and I decided to do it. I hope to be useful to you!
Have a nice day and a delicious dinner outdoors!