When talking about grilled sausages, kielbasa is always among the best variants to cook! The unique taste and versatility of Polish sausages make them popular all over the world. It is worth trying, and once you will try a grilled kielbasa, it will become one of your favorite dishes.
So, it is high time to learn how to cook kielbasa on the grill.
- 1 A few words about the kielbasa sausage
- 2 Why is kielbasa so popular?
- 3 What is the best way to cook a kielbasa?
- 4 What do you need for cooking a grilled Polish sausage?
- 5 How to grill kielbasa in 6 easy steps
- 6 Smart recipe tricks
- 7 What else goes well with the grilled kielbasa?
- 8 What about any other good recipes?
- 9 How long does it take to cook kielbasa on the grill?
- 10 Do you have to boil kielbasa before you grill it?
- 11 How do you grill fully-cooked kielbasa?
- 12 Final thoughts
A few words about the kielbasa sausage
How much do you know about kielbasa? Before you start cooking, let’s explore the kielbasa in detail.
What is kielbasa sausage?
Kielbasa is a general name for any type of Polish sausage. These are usually smoked sausages that are made of a blend of meats. Pork meat is the main part, but turkey, beef, chicken, and some others are also included.
In Poland, you can also find such variants of kielbasa as fish kielbasa or vegetarian kielbasa that is made of tofu.
You can buy raw kielbasa sausages as well, but the main purpose of any kielbasa recipe is a tasty smoky flavor. No matter if you get a smoked kielbasa sausage or smoke it by yourself, the result is good when you have a rich smoky flavor.
What are the most popular kinds of kielbasa?
In Poland, you can find these most popular variants of kielbasa:
- zwyczajna kielbasa (a basic and cheaper kind of kielbasa that has an orange or brownish color)
- wiejska kielbasa (a smoked kielbasa of a dark brown color)
- biala kielbasa (a white Polish sausage that is not smoked; popular Polish food for Easter)
- parowki or the Vienna sausage (the sausages that are usually used for hot dogs or served for breakfast in the hotels of Poland)
- serdelki (a thick variation of parowki, that is mostly made of pork and veal)
- kabanosy (thin and long smoked sausage of a dark brown color; it is always served cold)
- kaszanka or kiszka (Polish blood sausage)
- krakowska sucha kielbasa (a thick kielbasa that is made of grounded meat; it is usually served thinly sliced on sandwiches)
Why is kielbasa so popular?
If you wonder why Polish sausage is so good to cook and eat, the answers are evident.
Quick and easy to cook
Lots of food are not so fast and easy to cook on the grill. However, if you are looking for a quicker option, then grilled or smoked kielbasa is a great clue. Cooking kielbasa is super easy to cook, as most of these sausages have already been smoked before you buy them.
All that you need is to grill it a bit with some veggies.
This works even easier if you are not going to grill kielbasa.
Just reheat the Polish sausages to the desired temperature, and they are good to go.
And finally, the most valuable point of Polish sausages is their incomparable smoky taste! Once you have tried a bit of grilled Polish sausage, nothing else can compare with its amazing flavor. Grilling is the best way to cook Polish sausage, as it brings smoky notes and enhances its qualities.
What is the best way to cook a kielbasa?
There are lots of Polish recipes with kielbasa, but the best option is to grill kielbasa sausage. The grilled Polish sausage tastes delicious itself and with many side additions.
What do you need for cooking a grilled Polish sausage?
Use any types of Polish sausages you prefer to eat. The only variant that doesn’t work for this recipe, is a raw kielbasa, as you should cook it differently.
For this recipe, you need onions, tomatoes, potatoes, and sweet peppers.
Sweet peppers fit best in the small tricolor package. These peppers are the best for grilling as they are already the perfect size. In case you choose larger peppers, cut them into smaller chunks for faster grilling.
Opt for the red or sweet onions in this recipe. If you choose the yellow onions, keep in mind they are much softer, and it makes them a bit too bland for grilling.
Roma tomatoes are the best option for winter, when they have the best flavor. However, you need a longer cook time for the Roma tomatoes. For the summer, choose garden tomatoes. Cut them into smaller chunks if they are too large for grilling.
To cook Polish sausage, use a good grill with a grilling grate. Not only, it is much easier and better to grill kielbasa on it, but you can also get the perfect sear marks!
How to grill kielbasa in 6 easy steps
This recipe card is super easy, as you don’t need any sophisticated steps to cook a perfectly grilled Polish sausage.
Crosshatch the top side of the kielbasa to help it cook faster.
Half-cut the tomatoes and onions. Add them to a big boil, and spray or brush them with olive oil. For more even coverage, mix the veggies well.
Heat the grill to 350°. When it is heated, place kielbasa with vegetables on it.
Turn the grilled Polish sausage and veggies after 4-5 minutes of the grilling process.
After 5 more minutes, add sweet peppers on top of it. Wait until 3-4 minutes are left, and add the Roma tomatoes. Let them grill well until all the ingredients are cooked through and finely seared.
Serve the hot dish and enjoy your meal!
Smart recipe tricks
- Crosshatch is essential, as it helps you to cook Polish sausage faster and crisp it up on the outside. That’s why you shouldn’t skip this extra step.
- Use a grill grate if you want to make some perfect grill marks on the grilled kielbasa.
- Consider the time of adding vegetables to the grill. As they take different times to be cooked perfectly, add them just in the time they need. Onions take more time to grill, whereas tomatoes need a lot less time to be ready. If you place the vegetables according to these tips, they all will be ready at the same time within 10 minutes of grilling.
- Grill kielbasa on medium heat to keep the best internal temperature. Too high heat can burn the sausage skin in 2 minutes.
Check out our detailed articles How much charcoal to use in a grill and How to put out a charcoal grill.
What about the leftovers?
Don’t discard the leftovers! We know a smart way to prep them. You can chop them and save them in the refrigerator for further use. You can add them to the scrambled eggs, use them in the soup, or heat them in the skillet straight up for a delicious snack.
How to store and reheat grilled kielbasa leftovers
Place your leftovers in the refrigerator along with the vegetables. Keep them in an airtight container or a freezer-quality plastic bag for 3 to 5 days.
The frozen leftovers are food for up to 6 months in an airtight container.
You can keep them with some rice, and use them for delicious lunches.
How to serve Polish sausage?
You can serve kielbasa with vegetables as a main dish, or slice kielbasa for a grilled kielbasa sandwich. As a side dish, you can add some sweet potatoes. Add one of your favorite sauces, like ketchup or mustard, as the grilled kielbasa is versatile.
What else goes well with the grilled kielbasa?
Lots of vegetables are good for serving with grilled kielbasa. You can cook large mushrooms on the grill, or serve them with some baked potatoes and carrots. Opting for hot peppers instead of sweet peppers is also a good idea. Take some bread if you prefer.
For more extraordinary variants, add some apples or pineapple are a fun addition to the grilled kielbasa. They fit perfectly this delicious flavor profile.
You can also rub the grilled kielbasa with your favorite sauce. You can use mustard, horseradish sauce, garlic aioli, or ketchup. Add some dry rub that you prefer with grilled kielbasa.
You will also be interested in reading: What to serve with kabobs on the grill and How to grill chicken breast on a pellet grill.
What about any other good recipes?
Polish sausage is good for many popular recipes. One of the most popular recipes is a grilled Polish sausage with green beans and baby red potatoes.
- Slice kielbasa and cut potatoes. Then, prep 12-14″ pieces of aluminum foil.
- For one packet, place potatoes with green beans in the center of the foil piece. Add some oil and seasoning, and then top it with the slices of kielbasa.
- Grill the packets on the preheated grill for about 20-30 minutes.
How long does it take to cook kielbasa on the grill?
Generally, you should grill kielbasa for about 8-10 minutes. The prep time depends on the thickness of the cooking kielbasa and can vary a bit.
Do you have to boil kielbasa before you grill it?
No, you don’t need these extra measures. As you buy a pre-cooked kielbasa, you just need to reheat it on the grill. If you prefer a raw kielbasa, it needs a different way of cooking.
Keep it in hot water for at least 5 minutes, until its internal temperature gets warm.
How do you grill fully-cooked kielbasa?
It is super easy to grill kielbasa when it is already done. Heat it to the edible temperature, and top it up with some veggies, sauces, or any other side dishes.
Kielbasa is a great and versatile option for grilling. You can serve and eat it in many variants, with mustard or ketchup, with potatoes or beans, or place kielbasa slices on the bread. Try and choose what tastes best for you!
If you want to grill burgers check out how long to grill frozen burgers.
Hello! In my free time, I like to pamper my family with delicious grilled dinners. In addition, friends often gather with us and a grilled steak is what you need for pleasant company!
I have been working as a salesman in a grill and accessories store for several years. I know all about grills and smokers. My friends and acquaintances always consult with me before buying a new grill. I am a master at this with vast experience!
Recently I was advised to start my own blog and I decided to do it. I hope to be useful to you!